Thursday 18 June 2020

Hedgehog adaptation

Hedgehogs: Adorable, But Do They Make Good Pets? | HowStuffWorksThis guy is so cute!! : Hedgehog
Hedgehog Adaptation


Hedgehogs are animals that can be a pet but can be a dangerous
scared animal, hedgehogs feel threatened quite a lot and have this
amazing ability to curl into a ball so they won't get attacked and
try to protect themselves. Hedgehogs are adventurous animals and
love exploring, they are very good at camouflaging into their
natural habitat. 


A hedgehog's behavioural adaptation is to camouflage and to
curl in a ball. Hedgehogs have an ability to blend into their grass
surroundings and the mud and leaves, Hedgehogs do blend in quite
well to their natural surroundings. Hedgehogs have spikes that are
coloured like some of the leaves and the grass and mud and the ground
of their natural surroundings to blend in so they don't get attacked and
so their predator can't see them as easily. Hedgehogs colours make
them camouflage into their surroundings when their predator comes
they will lay in their curly ball and not move a muscle.When a
hedgehog feels safe it will be able to be touched sort of but as soon as
it feels threatened it will curl into a ball protecting itself with its
amazing prickly spikes. Hedgehogs feel threatened even when you
walk up to them. If a hedgehog curls into a ball, don't touch it or try
holding
it, it will make it feel more threatened. If a hedgehog feels
threatened it will stay still in a spiky ball not moving an inch. 


Hedgehogs have structural adaptations.  They have very sharp spikes
to protect themselves from their predators when they roll into a prickly
ball.  The spikes prick those predators who try to attack the hedgehog.
Hedgehogs have a full back of their sharp pointed spines, If a
Hedgehog gets attacked or feels threatened by something they
will curl into a very prickly pointy ball that will keep away most
predators, Hedgehogs usually sleep in the position in a curled ball not
moving during day and then they awaken to search for their food at
nighttime. Hedgehogs rely on their sense of smell and vibration in the
ground because their eyesight is kind of weak.


Some hedgehogs have a physiological adaptation to some venom of
certain animals. The hedgehogs have an ability to be immune to the
venom of certain animals, it allows them to eat small venomous snakes
and arthropods. If some certain hedgehogs see a object that produces a
unfamiliar smell that the hedgehog doesn't recognise it will lick the
object and and form a frothy paste inside its mouth. The hedgehog
then uses its tongue to spread the paste over the it’s spines. It is thought
to camouflage the hedgehogs natural scent and its meant to put off
their predators who will often avoid the new unknown substance.

Hedgehogs have very interesting adaptations I think they are very
cute and very smart little critters, Hedgehogs have a beautiful spines
and are such cute animals!

8 comments:

  1. Hello Kyah,
    I am Albin, a Year 8 at YMS.

    That blog was really informative. The were lot of facts about hedgehogs in it. I like your introduction as well. Which website did you get this much information from? Wikipedia?

    I also like reading about animals. Especially to animals that I don't know much about. I also like the way you wrote everything.

    Kind regards,
    Albin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Albin, No I got nothing from wikipedia, Most of this I knew sorry I dont remember the exact website but yea
      I love reading about animals and I know alot about hedgehogs.
      -Kyah

      Delete
  2. Hello Kyah,
    Its Me Bridget From Yaldhurst Model School.(Rimu Class) I like how you added some cute photos up the top of your blog. I also like the way you have added a piece of your writing. Maybe Next time you could add a part 1 a Part two and maybe even a part three, Because half way through this story I started to hear a bit of repeating. Why did you do this piece of writing was it set by the teacher or did you just do this? Other then that you have done a AWESOME piece of writing.
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridget,
      Thank you I like the photos alot
      I did this writing because we had to choose an animal to do a report on and I chose hedgehogs because I know alot about them and our teacher said to do a report on an animal
      Thank you!
      -Kyah

      Delete
  3. Hi Kyah this is Briar I am a year 7 from yaldhurst model school.Today I will Be commenting on your blog. I hope you enjoy. An introduction would be nice.Now question is your favourite animal hedgehogs.My favourite animal is horses. Sadly I don't own any but I would like to own one someday. I like the way you used the punctuation. While you were writing this blog that is all for me.
    Briar from Yaldhurst Model School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Briar
      This was the introduction but I just forgot to say: This is the introduction
      I hope you own a horse one day!
      -Kyah

      Delete
  4. Hello Kyah,
    This is one of the cutest blog-posts I've seen, I love looking at blog-posts especially ones that have adorable critters involved. I've never had a pet hedgehog but I would love to, although this blog-post gave interesting facts some that I haven't heard of and I thought that this is a fantastic blog-post.

    Not only is it factual but it's attention drawing, I would say this is a great blog-post and I wonder have you ever owned a hedgehog or did you just do a lot of searching? Would you like to own a hedgehog one day?

    Keep up the amazing work!
    Kind Regards,
    Nikita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nikita,
      Thank you I think hedgehogs are cute,
      I've never owned a hedgehog but I've saved one from getting hit by a car,
      it was only a baby,
      I would love to own a hedgehog one day.
      I also did a bit of searching but most of it I knew.
      -Kyah

      Delete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.